Saturday, 26 October 2013

Valeggio sul Mincio

The Parco-Giardino Sigurtà extend over 125 acres at the edge of the morainic hills that form the southern border of Lake Garda, just 8 km from the town of Peschiera.
The gardens began life as walled garden (1617) to the Villa Maffei, designed by V. Pellesina, a student of Palladio, and in 1859 became for a time the headquarters of Napoleon III.
In over forty years of loving care, Carlo Sigurtà, benefiting from an ancient right to take water from the river Mincio below, performed the "miracle" of turning an arid hillside into luxurious greenery.
The Parco-Giardino opened to the public in 1978 and from then it's conservation has been due in great part to the love of its' visitors who have called it "A temple of Nature".
The Parco-Giardino Sigurtà is now considered by many to be among the five most beautiful in the world.

The Parco-Giardino Sigurtà at Valeggio sul Mincio:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment