Saturday, 19 October 2013

Carceri

Carceri, which developed around St. Mary abbey, founded in the 10th century and entrusted first to the Augustinian and then to the Camaldolite monks.
The original romanesque church, with nave and two aisles was fired in 1643 and replaced with a new baroque one, inaugurated in 1686.
In 1690 Pope Alessandro VIII suppressed the abbey and its lands were sold by auction in order to gain money to give financial support to the Serenissima Republic war against the Turks.
The abbey was bought by the Carminati family who had it transformed into a farm.
In 1951 the Carminati donated the building to the Church of Carceri.
The abbey nowadays hosts a museum displaying traditional country tools (entrance for free).

The abbey at Carceri:




No comments:

Post a Comment