Sunday, 13 October 2013

Due Carrare

Due Carrare, cradle of the Da Carrara family.
The unusual name of this town (Due Carrare means Two Carraras), is due on the one hand to the unification of two villages, Carrara S. Giorgio and Carrara S. Stefano, in the year 1995.
The S. Stefano Abbey was founded by Litolfo da Carrara in 1027. The rare beauty of the building is due to the dark trachyt stone with which it was built. The church contains precious works of art, and of great interest are the large mosaics on the pavement.
Villa Zaborra-Avesani, better known as S. Pelagio Castle, which was built on the remains of a military fortress of the Da Carrara family. The history of the noble dwelling, which is now hosting the Flight Museum, includes a famous historical event: from here the famous and flamboyant italian Poet Gabriele d'Annunzio, flew with eleven Ansaldo biplanes, in a dramatic long-distance raid on Wien, August 9, 1918. The castle is completed by a huge historical and monumental garden (entrance must be paid).

No comments:

Post a Comment